Intro To Photography - Week 12

by - October 27, 2016

21/10/2016
ITP
Leanne Faye
Exercise Studio Lighting & Theme-based Pictures

Lecture:
Today's class, Mr. Vinod started off checking our e-portfolio and giving us some feedback as usual. After checking, we were let out early. 

Exercise instructions
Exercise Studio Lighting Exercise (not graded)

Period Portrait.

Identify a period picture within the years of 1940 to early 1960s. Choose a picture that you are able to reenact or recreate. Prepare and plan your outfit, make-up and hair for the shoot. Try to achieve the same or similar result as your reference. Edit your picture in photoshop and update the picture to your Facebook profile. Document the process in your reflection on your e-portfolio blog.

When you post the lighting exercise shot that you took of another person, along side the shot must be the example. You also have to post your picture which someone else took of you.

After that you are to include 5 shots that you attempted throughout the week for your theme based project. Not uploading 5 shots every week will result in minus marks for the ePortfolio, which is 20%.

You "have to" post your attempt of your series of 5 "every week"! from here on end.

Period Portrait 

ISO 640, F8, 1/200
Before editing 

After editing (Photoshop)

Example picture

Theme-based pictures
1)
ISO 320, F11, 1/125


2)
ISO 200, F11, 1/125


3)
ISO 160, F16, 1/125


4)
ISO 160, F11, 1/250


5)
ISO 320, F11, 1/250


6)
ISO 320, F11, 1/125


Screenshots:



Feedback:
No 3 is the best this week. However i think you need to vary your angles and the positioning of the person in the scene. The angles must be unique.

Reflection
Experience
For this week, I narrowed down my options to only one which is isolation. I shot all these pictures at a newly opened lrt station near my house because I thought it was a nice place to shoot at as it wasn't crowded. I chose to shoot at the lrt station is because I find the lines of bars, stairs, bridges and railing can add a little element to my pictures but also not too complicated.

Observation
I observed that I shoot most of these pictures from bottom to up means I stood on a lower ground shooting strangers at a more elevated ground than the ground I am standing on. This week I also tried not to shoot too near to my subject matter as I learned my lesson from last week's mistake.

Findings
I chose this option although I know that it is not easy at all and can be very time consuming because of the stalking and waiting for someone to appear in the frame. Despite that, I wanted to challenge myself more as I personally find if I choose option 2, it would not challenge my photography skills more than option 1. Option 2 was more of compositing the subject matter as it is already there for you to shoot whereas option 1 pushes me to be spontaneous and quick to shoot at any situation. 



You May Also Like

0 comments