Intro To Photography - Week 10

by - October 12, 2016

7/10/2016
ITP
Leanne Faye
Theme-based pictures

Lecture:
There wasn't any lecture but Mr. Vinod did check our e-portolios. After checking, we went ahead to do our studio lighting exercise (ungraded). This time it was Chia Ying's turn to pose while we set the lightings, position and her hair. We managed to do it by ourselves. After we were done, we were allowed to leave. 

Exercise instructions
Series of 5
What makes a good/average/poor series with regard to consistency
1. Good consistency: variation within the theme / eclectic mix with a good range but bound strong unmistakable mood and style.
2. Average Consistency: some variation within the theme / an acceptable mix with a range loosely bound around a mood and style.
3. Poor Consistency: not much variation within the theme / monotonous mix with a poor range bound poorly with weak mood and style.

All 5 images must maintain an identity by way of mood and style. Consistency while
required must not be predictable, suitable variations within the theme needs to be present in the series.

Theme-based picture
Option 1: Isolation
1) 

2) 

3) 

4) 

5) 


Option 2: Old Buildings 
1) 

2) 

3) 

4) 

5) 


Screenshots:




Feedback:
Please write the details of the exposure. Also, the second option looks better at the moment. Look for the scenes first, and then wait for the people to show up. Get your exposure settings done while you wait. The first option looks more dramatic than the second option when considering the work of the previous week.

Reflection
Experience
For the studio lighting exercise, I really enjoyed the entire process, from lighting to prepping the model. We met some difficulties with trying to achieve the lighting as near as possible to the picture but then we overcome it as a team. For option 1 of the theme-based pictures, I produced a series that is slightly different from last week's. This week I try to take at places with more greens and nature while last week's one was more minimal and less ornaments in the background. For option 2, I took the similar type of corners of old buildings. 

Observation
For option 1 of theme-based pictures, I observed that to shoot a minimal isolation picture, I need to look for a large space with not many distracting ornaments. I realised that the place I am shooting at must not be crowded because then I won't be able to shoot single person. For option 2 of the theme-based pictures, the places I shoot is sometimes unexpected, like backstreets or rundown shops. Therefore, I carry my camera everywhere I go just in case I come across a nice old building. 

Findings
From option 1 theme-based pictures, I learned that it is really difficult to get single person shoot in a crowded place so my choice of venue must not be crowded and has a large space. I also learned to avoid people noticing that I am taking a picture of them by quickly moving my camera direction to somewhere else as if I am taking something else. This helps the picture to look candid. For option 2, it is easier to shoot because these corners of old buildings can be easily found and it doesn't need to be taken fast and immediately unlike option 1.

Further references: 

Other photographer's work:


By unknown.

By Xyza Cruz Bacani. Taken in Hong Kong. One picture from a series called ISOLATION.



From the same series of ISOLATION by Xyza Cruz Bacani. 



You May Also Like

0 comments