Intro To Photography - Week 8

by - September 28, 2016

23/9/2016
ITP
Leanne Faye
Exercise 6) Series of 5

Lecture:
Today's lecture was about consistency in a series of five pictures. Mr. Vinod showed us a few examples of street photography. He explained to us some simple tips for street photography from his experience. Mr. Vinod also showed us some good examples of series photography. After that, he checked our picture that we took last week and printed it out at a professional printing lab. We were left out early and we were asked to start shooting our series every week or we will not be able to finish it on time. 

Exercise instructions
Exercise 6) Series of 5
What makes a good/average/poor series with regard to consistency
1. Good consistency: variation within the theme / eclectic mix with a good range but bound strong unmistakable mood and style.
2. Average Consistency: some variation within the theme / an acceptable mix with a range loosely bound around a mood and style.
3. Poor Consistency: not much variation within the theme / monotonous mix with a poor range bound poorly with weak mood and style.

All 5 images must maintain an identity by way of mood and style. Consistency while
required must not be predictable, suitable variations within the theme needs to be present in the series.

Exercise 6) Series of 5 
1)

 2)

3)


4) 

5)


Screenshots:





Feedback:

The choice of old building is interesting, but must narrow your focus to a specific type of building or area within the building so that it is not to wide and one can compare and contrast the same area in different locations. No 4 and 1 looked interesting but more needs to be done. Long way to go if excellent work is to be achieved. You need to redouble your efforts.

Reflection
Experience
For this week's series, I went to Petaling Street in Kuala Lumpur to shoot the ruins and old buildings. It was took in the afternoon when the sun was very bright, almost blinding. In my series, I took pictures of corners, buildings, stairs and even abandoned piles of metal plates to show the beauty of the discarded things on the street. After trying out street photography, it is not easy at all. I tried to follow Mr. Vinod's approach for street photography, like setting aperture, ISO and shutter speed when reached the location then only continue to shoot the pictures. I had to shoot really fast to avoid people noticing but it is easier to take building or objects because then I can take my time. Overall, I really enjoyed this experience, this exercise also gave me an excuse to visit Petaling Street and be tourist for a day. I also used Photoshop to edit the pictures after shooting. I adjusted the brightness, contrast and exposure. 

Observation
 I observed that I got fairly better pictures when I go out and explore different places than taking my picture in campus. When shooting outdoors in public, people tend to stare so I had to act like a tourist but people must be wondering why is this tourist taking pictures of a corner and not taking pictures of the market. I observed that tourist spots are quite packed so it is impossible to take isolation pictures of people. 

Findings
From this week's lecture, I learned that we have to choose the correct topic because we would to go visit the place again and again at the same time of the day to maintain the lighting condition. Reconnaissance for the first few tries then decide which time of the day would be suitable. The people and place must look good and have potential in photography. If the place is not interesting, we would not be able to produce interesting pictures. We must bring our cameras everywhere we go. I also understand that the presence of the photographer must not affect the natural environment or situation after doing this exercise. I tried using Mr. Vinod's approach which is act like we're interested on what the people is doing to distract them. Consistency is not monotony. After using Photoshop for a few times, I got used to it. I used Photoshop very minimally.


Further references: 

Reading materials

Street Photography Kuala Lumpur by Che' Ahmad Azhar

City Space Photography

The Infinite Beauty of Classic Japanese Architecture



You May Also Like

0 comments